Travel Packages in Sporades Islands
Skiathos and Skopelos
Athens, Meteora by train, Volos and the Sporades Islands: Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos.
MAMMA MIA II
Athens and the Sporades Islands of Skiathos and Skopelos
Athens and the Sporades Islands of Skiathos, Alonissos and Skopelos
TRAINS AND BOATS
Athens, Meteora and Thessaloniki by train, Volos and the Sporades Islands: Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos.
Skiathos, Alonissos and Skopelos from Athens
Customize your packages
Select from our wide variety
Athens and the Sporades Islands of Skiathos and Alonissos
Skiathos and Alonissos from Athens
General Information About Sporades Islands
The Sporades Islands are an archipelago located in the Aegean Sea, off the east coast of Greece. The archipelago consists of 24 islands, of which only four are inhabited: Skiathos, Skopelos, Alonnisos, and Skyros. The Sporades are known for their beautiful beaches, crystal-clear waters, and lush greenery.
Skiathos is the most popular and developed island in the Sporades, with numerous hotels, restaurants, and bars. Skopelos is known for its picturesque villages, traditional architecture, and tranquil atmosphere.
Alonnisos is a nature lover’s paradise, with a national marine park and a variety of hiking trails. Skyros is the largest island in the Sporades and is famous for its traditional carnival celebrations.
The Sporades have a rich history and were once an important center of trade and culture in the Aegean. The islands were ruled by the Venetians, the Ottomans, and the Greeks at different times throughout history, and their influence can still be seen in the architecture, cuisine, and traditions of the islands.
The Sporades are easily accessible by ferry or plane from the Greek mainland, and there are regular flights and ferries from Athens and Thessaloniki.
Points of Interest in Sporades Islands
The Sporades Islands are known for their natural beauty, and there are several sites of interest that visitors should not miss. Here are some of the top attractions:
- Koukounaries Beach: Located on Skiathos, this is one of the most beautiful beaches in Greece, with crystal-clear waters and a long stretch of golden sand.
- Old Town of Alonnisos: The old town of Alonnisos is a picturesque village with narrow streets, whitewashed houses, and stunning views of the sea.
- Panormos Beach: This beautiful beach on Skopelos is surrounded by lush greenery and has crystal-clear waters.
- Agios Ioannis Chapel: This tiny chapel on Skopelos gained fame after being featured in the movie Mamma Mia! and it offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Skyros Chora: The capital of Skyros is a traditional village with narrow streets, whitewashed houses, and beautiful churches.
- National Marine Park of Alonnisos: This protected area is home to a variety of marine life, including the endangered Mediterranean monk seal.
- The House of Papadiamantis: Located on Skiathos, this is the former home of Alexandros Papadiamantis, a famous Greek writer.
- The Venetian Castle: Located on Skiathos, this 14th-century castle offers stunning views of the surrounding sea and islands.
- The Monastery of Evangelistria: Located on Skiathos, this historic monastery dates back to the 18th century and features beautiful frescoes and a museum.
- The Cave of Drakospilia: Located on Skopelos, this cave is said to be the home of the dragon that guarded the island in ancient times. Today, it's a popular spot for hiking and exploring.
Typical Food and Drinks of Sporades Islands
The cuisine of the Sporades Islands is influenced by both Greek and Mediterranean cuisine, with an emphasis on fresh seafood, vegetables, and olive oil.
Some of the typical food of Sporades Islands is Seafood. The Sporades Islands are known for their fresh seafood, including fish, squid, octopus, and shrimp. Grilled fish, fried calamari, and seafood stews are popular dishes.
Also, you should try Fava, a traditional dish made from split yellow peas. Fava is typically served as a dip or side dish. It is often topped with onions, tomatoes, and olive oil.
And you can leave the region without trying Moussaka, a baked dish made with eggplant, ground meat, and béchamel sauce, moussaka is a staple of Greek cuisine and is popular in the Sporades Islands.
As for drinks, wine is a popular drink in the Sporades Islands, with many vineyards located on the islands. Local varieties include the white wines of Skiathos and the red wines of Alonnisos.
Also, you should try Ouzo, a traditional Greek alcoholic drink, ouzo is a clear anise-flavored liquor that is often served as an aperitif or digestif.
Another traditional Greek alcoholic drink, tsipouro is a clear grape brandy that is often served as an aperitif or accompanied by meze, small plates of food served with drinks.
Overall, the cuisine of the Sporades Islands is simple and fresh, with an emphasis on local ingredients and traditional cooking methods.
Festivals of Sporades Islands
The Sporades Islands have a rich tradition of festivals and celebrations throughout the year. Here are some of the most popular festivals of the Sporades Islands:
- Alonnisos Wine Festival: Held in early August, this festival celebrates the island’s wine production with wine tastings, music, and dancing.
- Skiathos Carnival: The Skiathos Carnival takes place in late February or early March and features parades, costumes, and parties.
- Agios Nikolaos Festival: This festival is held in honor of Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of sailors, and takes place on December 6th. It includes church services, processions, and traditional dances.
- Fidousia Festival: The Fidousia Festival is held in Skopelos in early September and is a celebration of the island’s traditional embroidery and needlework. It includes a market selling handmade crafts, as well as music and dance performances.
- Panagia Kastriani Festival: This festival is held on the island of Kea in mid-August and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It includes church services, processions, and traditional dances.
- Skopelos International Film Festival: This festival takes place in July and showcases independent films from around the world. Screenings are held in outdoor locations around the island of Skopelos.
- Aegean Regatta: This sailing competition takes place in late July and attracts sailors from around the world to compete in races around the Sporades Islands.
These are just a few examples of the many festivals and celebrations that take place in the Sporades Islands throughout the year. Each island has its own unique traditions and celebrations, making it a fascinating and vibrant place to visit.
How Is the Culture in the Sporades Islands?
The Sporades Islands are a group of small islands located in the Aegean Sea off the eastern coast of mainland Greece. The islands have a rich and diverse culture that is heavily influenced by their unique history and geography.
The culture of the Sporades Islands is deeply rooted in the traditions of ancient Greece, with a strong emphasis on family, community, and religion.
Family ties are highly valued in the Sporades Islands, and many families have lived on the islands for generations. Community events and festivals are an important part of island life, bringing people together to celebrate their traditions and culture.
Religion also plays a significant role in the culture of the Sporades Islands, with Greek Orthodoxy being the predominant religion. The islands are home to many beautiful churches and monasteries, and religious celebrations and processions are an important part of island life.
The Sporades Islands are also known for their rich artistic and literary traditions, with many notable poets, writers, and artists hailing from the islands. The landscape and natural beauty of the islands have also inspired many artists and writers throughout history.
Overall, the culture of the Sporades Islands is a vibrant and unique blend of ancient Greek traditions, religion, art, and culinary delights. The islands offer a fascinating glimpse into the rich cultural heritage of Greece, and are a must-visit destination for anyone interested in history, art, and culture.
What to See and Do in Sporades Islands
Sporades Islands is a wonderful destination due to its historical heritage and its natural beauty.
In turn, due to its proximity to Athens and Meteora, many travelers combine their trip to the Sporades Islands with these destinations, which is why you will find these sites in several of our offers.
Are you looking to marvel at the most incredible landscapes? Do you want to know about a fascinating culture? Do you want to taste exquisite cuisine?
If your answer is "yes", in Greca we have several proposals for tourist packages to the Sporades Islands, which you can modify and adapt according to your needs and times.
There are travel packages for all tastes. Choose your own adventure according to your needs!
01How much does it cost to eat in the Sporades Islands?
A dish at a restaurant can cost from 5 to 15 Euros.
02Which month is cheapest to travel to the Sporades Islands?
In general, the cheapest months to travel to The Sporades Islands are in spring and autumn.
03When is the best time to visit the Sporades Islands?
The best time to visit the islands is from May to October, when the weather is warm and sunny, and the sea is perfect for swimming and water sports.