Travel Packages in Sharjah
Dubai, Classic City, Desert Safari, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ajman & Fujairah.
Dubai, Desert Safari, Shoppings, Abu Dhabi, Fujairah, Sharjah & Ajman.
General Information About Sharjah
Sharjah is one of the seven emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates (UAE). It is located on the east coast of the Arabian Peninsula, along the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf.
Sharjah is the third largest emirate in the UAE, after Abu Dhabi and Dubai, with an area of 2,590 square kilometers. It is home to a population of over 1.5 million people, making it the third most populous emirate in the UAE.
Sharjah is known for its rich history, cultural heritage, and Islamic architecture. It has a number of museums, including the Sharjah Museum of Islamic Civilization, the Sharjah Archaeology Museum, and the Sharjah Heritage Museum. The emirate is also home to several art galleries, including the Sharjah Art Museum and the Maraya Art Centre.
Sharjah is a hub for commerce, industry, and tourism in the UAE. It has a diverse economy, with sectors including manufacturing, construction, finance, and healthcare. The emirate is also known for its cultural events, including the Sharjah International Book Fair, the Sharjah Biennial, and the Sharjah Light Festival.
The official language of Sharjah is Arabic, but English is widely spoken and understood. The currency used in Sharjah is the UAE dirham (AED).
The emirate is known for its conservative culture, with traditional Islamic values and customs strongly observed. Visitors to Sharjah are expected to respect local customs and dress modestly in public.
Points of Interest in Sharjah
Sharjah has many sites of interest, including:
- Sharjah Museum of Islamic Civilization: This museum is located in the heart of Sharjah and showcases the Islamic heritage of the region through its collection of artifacts, manuscripts, and exhibits.
- Sharjah Heritage Area: This area is home to many historic buildings and structures, including the Al Hisn Fort, which was once the residence of the ruling family of Sharjah.
- Al Noor Island: This beautiful island is located in the Khalid Lagoon and is home to a variety of plants, trees, and animals. It features a butterfly house, a sculpture park, and a cafe.
- Sharjah Art Museum: This museum is dedicated to showcasing contemporary art from the region and around the world. It hosts a variety of exhibitions and events throughout the year.
- Sharjah Aquarium: This aquarium is home to over 150 species of marine life and features interactive exhibits and activities for visitors of all ages.
- Al Qasba: This waterfront destination features a canal, a Ferris wheel, and a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues.
- Sharjah Science Museum: This museum is dedicated to promoting science and technology education through its interactive exhibits and activities.
- Sharjah Archaeology Museum: This museum showcases the history of the region through its collection of artifacts, including pottery, jewelry, and weapons.
- Sharjah Natural History Museum and Desert Park: This museum and park is dedicated to showcasing the natural history of the region, including its flora and fauna, geology, and ecology.
- Al Majaz Waterfront: This waterfront destination features a variety of restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues, as well as a large fountain that puts on a spectacular light and water show in the evenings.
Typical Food and Drinks of Sharjah
Sharjah offers a wide range of food and drink options, including traditional Emirati cuisine, as well as international dishes.
Some popular dishes to try in Sharjah include: Machboos, a traditional Emirati dish made with rice, meat (usually chicken or lamb), and a variety of spices, including saffron, cardamom, and cinnamon, Luqaimat, small, sweet dough balls that are often served with honey or syrup.
Also, we recommend you to try Balaleet, a sweet vermicelli pudding that is often served for breakfast, and Shawarma, a Middle Eastern wrap made with shaved meat (usually chicken or lamb), vegetables, and sauce.
As for the drinks, you should try Arabic coffee, a strong, spiced coffee that is often served with dates, Karak tea, strong, spiced tea that is often served with milk and sugar, and Laban, a yogurt-based drink that is often served as a refreshing beverage.
You will also find fresh fruit juices, due Sharjah is known for its fresh fruit juices, which are made with a variety of locally grown fruits, including mango, guava, and pomegranate and Camel milk, a traditional beverage in the UAE, which is known for its health benefits.
Festivals and Celebrations of Sharjah
Sharjah is known for its many festivals and celebrations throughout the year. Some of the most popular events include:
- Sharjah International Book Fair: This is the largest book fair in the Middle East, featuring book exhibits, author readings, and workshops.
- Sharjah Light Festival: This annual event features light installations and projections on buildings and landmarks throughout the city.
- Sharjah Biennial: This art event showcases contemporary art from around the world and is held every two years.
- Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr: These are important religious celebrations for Muslims, and Sharjah celebrates with traditional food, music, and decorations.
- Sharjah Heritage Days: This annual event celebrates the heritage and culture of the UAE, with traditional food, music, and dance performances.
- Sharjah International Film Festival: This film festival showcases films from around the world and includes screenings, workshops, and panel discussions.
- Sharjah International Children’s Film Festival: This festival is dedicated to children’s films and includes screenings, workshops, and activities for kids.
- Sharjah Water Festival: This event takes place during the summer and features a variety of water-based activities, including water sports, competitions, and shows.
- Sharjah International Quran Award: This annual event honors individuals who have memorized the Quran, with competitions and awards for participants.
- Sharjah International Arabian Horse Festival: This festival celebrates the beauty and heritage of Arabian horses, with shows, competitions, and cultural events.
How Is the Culture in Sharjah?
The culture in Sharjah is deeply rooted in the traditions and values of Islam and the Bedouin culture of the region. It is a conservative society that places a high value on family, community, and hospitality.
Islam is the predominant religion in Sharjah, and its teachings and practices are woven into everyday life. While there is no strict dress code in Sharjah, it is a conservative society, and modest dress is expected, particularly for women.
Family is highly valued in Sharjah, and there is a strong emphasis on respect for elders and the extended family. Respect for authority, elders, and the community is an important aspect of the culture in Sharjah, and there is a strong emphasis on courtesy and politeness.
Hospitality is an important aspect of the culture in Sharjah, and visitors are often welcomed with open arms and offered food and drink.
Sharjah has a rich cultural heritage and is known for its museums, art galleries, and cultural festivals, which showcase the history and traditions of the region.
Education is highly valued in Sharjah, and there is a strong emphasis on academic achievement and the pursuit of knowledge.
Sports are an important part of the culture in Sharjah, with a particular emphasis on equestrian sports and camel racing.
Traditional music and dance are an important part of the culture in Sharjah, with many festivals and events featuring traditional Emirati music and dance performances.
What to See and Do in Sharjah
Sharjah is a wonderful destination due to its historical heritage and its Islamic architecture.
Are you looking to marvel at wonderful architecture? Do you want to know about a fascinating history? Do you want to taste exquisite cuisine?
If your answer is "yes", in Greca we have several proposals for tourist packages to Sharjah, which you can modify and adapt according to your needs and times.
There are travel packages for all tastes. Choose your own adventure according to your needs!